Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

MSLSD's new Slogan

Go down 
+3
Rog
slickjay12
The Other One
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 4:57 pm

From Radio City in Midtown Manhattan, third most listened to show in all of America and strangely proud of it. Hello, my name is Glenn Beck. MSNBC, yes, that glorious GE building known at 30 Rockefeller Plaza right across the street from me now, the bastion of fairness in journalism. It has a new slogan, and I kid you not. It is Experience the Power of Change. MSNBC, Experience the Power of Change. You're kidding me, right? I mean, the New York Times is reporting, "Watch MSNBC, a new commercial for the cable channel intones to Experience the Power of Change, are they introducing a new slogan that calls to mind the President Barack Obama's campaign message? NBC says it is not." No, of course they are not. The most liberal news channel in our nation's history? A channel that is just slightly right of the Soviet-run state television? I mean, why call it MSNBC anymore, really? Microsoft really didn't have anything to do with it anymore, do they? Why not just call it state cable channel 1. It has -- it just happened to pick the wording of a candidate they supported during the entire campaign. That's a total coincidence. Nothing to see here, people. Move on. If John McCain happened to win, of course they would also have run the commercials about change. Or would it -- no, no, no. MSNBC, experience the failed policies of the past. That's probably what they would have done but that would have been a total coincidence as well.

I'm actually surprised that you just don't type in MSNBC.com and it's just, your browser just takes you to, you know, moveon.org's donation page or, you know, just, you type in MSNBC.com and it just says, "Thank you for your donation." I mean, why not? Getting access to all the banks. You have one guy on TV that is telling Republicans to shut the hell up and spends an hour every night looking like a local theater Shakespeare lead, "I huff and I puff and I blow your house in." He talks about, has anyone noticed the similarities between serial killers and Republicans? Then another guy who gets chills up his leg and he says then it's his main job as a journalist to do everything he can to make Obama's presidency work. Really? Was that your job the last eight years? By the way, he is also the guy who is most often mentioned as a Democratic senatorial candidate. You know, when the guy in the right wing of your lineup is David Gregory, you know you need a different slogan than fair and balanced. You know you're thinking -- I mean, but why stop with the Power of Chang? How about MSNBC: Thank God for Democrats, and it would be a small G, not a capital G. I mean, you've got to be kidding me. "We're just talking about those who practice democracy. What, you thought we meant Democrat? Everybody's a Democrat. We practice democracy." "MSNBC, the power of BO." "Barack Obama? No, we weren't talking about Barack Obama. We were talking about body odor, the importance of hygiene. That's what we were doing." "MSNBC, Barack Obama is God." "What? We just meant that news about Barack Obama comes with guaranteed overnight delivery at the very latest. You've seen those trucks? What, do you think those truckdrivers that says G-O-D, God? God's the co-pilot. I don't know what you're talking about. You right wingers, where do you come up with these attacks? Boy, Sarah Palin's stupid."
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:44 pm

More senseless hate speech from Aman Coulter???
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 3:13 am

The Other One wrote:
From Radio City in Midtown Manhattan, third most listened to show in all of America and strangely proud of it. Hello, my name is Glenn Beck.

slickjay12 wrote:
More senseless hate speech from Aman Coulter???

Not unless she changed her name and turned Mormon.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-03-27

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 8:41 am

I worked for three years as news director, and then, in 1998, gained the additional title of assistant program director, a role I held until leaving the station in July 2006. From that position, I worked closely with our talk show hosts and became intimately familiar with how they appeal to listeners and shape their vision of the world. Let me tell you some of the lessons I learned.

To begin with, talk show hosts such as Charlie Sykes – one of the best in the business – are popular and powerful because they appeal to a segment of the population that feels disenfranchised and even victimized by the media. These people believe the media are predominantly staffed by and consistently reflect the views of social liberals. This view is by now so long-held and deep-rooted, it has evolved into part of virtually every conservative’s DNA.

To succeed, a talk show host must perpetuate the notion that his or her listeners are victims, and the host is the vehicle by which they can become empowered. The host frames virtually every issue in us-versus-them terms. There has to be a bad guy against whom the host will emphatically defend those loyal listeners.

This enemy can be a politician – either a Democratic officeholder or, in rare cases where no Democrat is convenient to blame, it can be a “RINO” (a “Republican In Name Only,” who is deemed not conservative enough). It can be the cold, cruel government bureaucracy. More often than not, however, the enemy is the “mainstream media” – local or national, print or broadcast.

Sometimes, it can even be their own station’s news director. One year, Charlie targeted me because I had instructed my midday news anchor to report the Wimbledon tennis results, even though the matches wouldn’t be telecast until much later in the day. Charlie gave out my phone number and e-mail address on the air. I was flooded with hate mail, nasty messages, and even one death threat from a federal law enforcement agent whom I knew to be a big Charlie fan.

• In the talk show world, the line-item veto was the most effective way to control government spending when Ronald Reagan was president; it was a violation of the separation of powers after President Clinton took office.

• Perjury was a heinous crime when Clinton was accused of lying under oath about his extramarital activities. But when Scooter Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney’s top aide, was charged with lying under oath, it was the prosecutor who had committed an egregious act by charging Libby with perjury.

• "Activist judges" are the scourge of the earth when they rule it is unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples the rights heterosexuals receive. But judicial activism is needed to stop the husband of a woman in a persistent vegetative state – say Terri Schiavo – from removing her feeding tube to end her suffering.

To amuse myself while listening to a talk show, I would ask myself what the host would say if the situation were reversed. What if alleged D.C. Madam client Sen. David Vitter had been a Democrat? Would the reaction of talk show hosts have been so quiet you could hear crickets chirping? Hardly.

Or what if former Rep. Mark Foley had been a Democrat? Would his pedophile-like tendencies have been excused as a “prank” or mere “overfriendly e-mails?” Not on the life of your teenage son.

Suppose Al Gore was president and ordered an invasion of Iraq without an exit strategy. Suppose this had led to the deaths of more than 4,000 U.S. troops and actually made that part of the world less stable. Would talk show hosts have dismissed criticism of that war as unpatriotic? No chance.

Or imagine that John Kerry had been president during Hurricane Katrina and that his administration’s rescue and rebuilding effort had been horribly botched. Would talk show hosts have branded him a great president? Of course not.

http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/currentIssue/full_feature_story.asp?NewMessageID=24046&pf=yes
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Rog wrote:
I worked for three years as news director, and then, in 1998, gained the additional title of assistant program director, a role I held until leaving the station in July 2006. From that position, I worked closely with our talk show hosts and became intimately familiar with how they appeal to listeners and shape their vision of the world. Let me tell you some of the lessons I learned.

To begin with, talk show hosts such as Charlie Sykes – one of the best in the business – are popular and powerful because they appeal to a segment of the population that feels disenfranchised and even victimized by the media. These people believe the media are predominantly staffed by and consistently reflect the views of social liberals. This view is by now so long-held and deep-rooted, it has evolved into part of virtually every conservative’s DNA.

To succeed, a talk show host must perpetuate the notion that his or her listeners are victims, and the host is the vehicle by which they can become empowered. The host frames virtually every issue in us-versus-them terms. There has to be a bad guy against whom the host will emphatically defend those loyal listeners.

This enemy can be a politician – either a Democratic officeholder or, in rare cases where no Democrat is convenient to blame, it can be a “RINO” (a “Republican In Name Only,” who is deemed not conservative enough). It can be the cold, cruel government bureaucracy. More often than not, however, the enemy is the “mainstream media” – local or national, print or broadcast.

Sometimes, it can even be their own station’s news director. One year, Charlie targeted me because I had instructed my midday news anchor to report the Wimbledon tennis results, even though the matches wouldn’t be telecast until much later in the day. Charlie gave out my phone number and e-mail address on the air. I was flooded with hate mail, nasty messages, and even one death threat from a federal law enforcement agent whom I knew to be a big Charlie fan.

• In the talk show world, the line-item veto was the most effective way to control government spending when Ronald Reagan was president; it was a violation of the separation of powers after President Clinton took office.

• Perjury was a heinous crime when Clinton was accused of lying under oath about his extramarital activities. But when Scooter Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney’s top aide, was charged with lying under oath, it was the prosecutor who had committed an egregious act by charging Libby with perjury.

• "Activist judges" are the scourge of the earth when they rule it is unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples the rights heterosexuals receive. But judicial activism is needed to stop the husband of a woman in a persistent vegetative state – say Terri Schiavo – from removing her feeding tube to end her suffering.

To amuse myself while listening to a talk show, I would ask myself what the host would say if the situation were reversed. What if alleged D.C. Madam client Sen. David Vitter had been a Democrat? Would the reaction of talk show hosts have been so quiet you could hear crickets chirping? Hardly.

Or what if former Rep. Mark Foley had been a Democrat? Would his pedophile-like tendencies have been excused as a “prank” or mere “overfriendly e-mails?” Not on the life of your teenage son.

Suppose Al Gore was president and ordered an invasion of Iraq without an exit strategy. Suppose this had led to the deaths of more than 4,000 U.S. troops and actually made that part of the world less stable. Would talk show hosts have dismissed criticism of that war as unpatriotic? No chance.

Or imagine that John Kerry had been president during Hurricane Katrina and that his administration’s rescue and rebuilding effort had been horribly botched. Would talk show hosts have branded him a great president? Of course not.

http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/currentIssue/full_feature_story.asp?NewMessageID=24046&pf=yes

And what does this drivel have to do with MSLSD?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Quote :
And what does this drivel have to do with MSLSD?

Seems obvious enough to me. And I agree with it almost entirely.

If a Democrat had done half the unconstitutional shit that Bush has, the Republicans would've been throwing a fit. But since violations of damn near every amendment in the Bill of Rights were pushed by THEIR guy... the Republicans were either silent or supportive.

Took me years to figure it out... but Republicans are no more honest than Democrats. And they LOVE war.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 7:50 am

"And now the liberals want to stop President Reagan from selling chemical warfare agents
and military equipment to Saddam Hussein, and why? Because Saddam allegedly gassed a
few Kurds in his own country. Mark my words. All of this talk of Saddam Hussein being a
war criminal or commiting crimes against humanity is the same old thing - liberal hate speech
And speaking of poision gas, I say we round up all the drug addicts and gas them."
-- Rush Limbaugh, November 3, 1988
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 8:54 am

Good Gawd.

This shouldn't surprise me. But just the same... it did.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 9:15 am

O.K. here it is again...

Go on Bighead, click it and read. It's from your favorite fact checking site, afterall.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 am

My big head feels all light and swimmy. Could I have been W... w... wrrrr.... ??

I just can't type it.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 10:21 am

Go on, Fonzy, You can say it.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Bighead wrote:
My big head feels all light and swimmy.

I read a couple of clinical studies that would suggest that what you are feeling is brain shrink. This occurs when the medulla oblongata comes in contact with a cold truth. Like many human organs with a head, it shrinks due to the cold. This condition may be permanent if not treated within the first two weeks of the first symptoms.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Funny thing is; Snopes doesn't say he's never said anything like that, only that it didn't occur on the date specified. Thats interesting.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Rolling Eyes It says specifically that it's a LAMPOON taken from the comic strip "The Boondocks".

Definition of lampoon being: A written attack ridiculing a person, group, or institution.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Rog wrote:
Funny thing is; Snopes doesn't say he's never said anything like that, only that it didn't occur on the date specified. Thats interesting.

Now there's a classic rationalization.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 4:45 pm

I used to watch Rush on TV. While I cannot recall that he ever said anything like that, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Rush would lie, cheat, steal, and maybe even cut his own grandmothers throat to protect the name of his almighty god Ronald Reagan. The only person Limbaugh worships more than Reagan is Rush Limbaugh.

In plain words, I think that concieted ass clown would stick up for Saddam in a second over the most horrific accusation if it meant protecting Reagan. I watched many a Rush TV show and no matter what the evil deed of the discussion might be, he always found some way no matter how rediculous to take the blame away from republicans and pin it on democrats. And his audience would applaud the most absurd comments like the trained seals they were.

You've got the Limbaughs on the right, and the Al Frankens on the left, both shoveling manure as fast as their gullible followers can lap it up.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Somebody doesn't read for comprehension too well. It could be me but I don't think so in this case. Please reread the Snopes again.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Rog, I don't think you are addressing me, so I'll make that clear. I myself don't ever recall Rush saying that particular thing, but I have heard him twist facts, withold important details, and outright lie for the purpose of bashing democrats and elevating republicans. It's his job to spread it on thick for the GOP. And there really isn't much I don't think he'd resort to in defense of Reagan. Rush is so caught up in his glorification of the GOP that he sees himself as some kind of crusader. I personally consider it to be living the part of his acting job to the point that it has degraded into an obsessive mental illness.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Rog wrote:
Somebody doesn't read for comprehension too well. It could be me but I don't think so in this case. Please reread the Snopes again.

Dammit, Rog. You've put your foot in your mouth... and I took the bait. Own it and get over it.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:10 am

Wish i could but the snopes article says not that Rush didn't say it, but rather that he didn't say it on that date. Rush changes his transcripts at his whim so there'd be no way of telling for sure whether he did say that or not. The likelihood that Limbaugh was cheerleeding for the Reaganites at that point in time is good. Rumsfeld said the US was okay with Saddam gassing people (especially since he was killing Iranians too) and continued to supply him with these banned weapons. Did rush say that ever? Odds are good that he did, but like the snopes says, "whatever he may or may not have said" "he didn't say it on that date". You win. I don't comprehend too well. I attribute it to living in a State where people believe that the Earth is a few thousand years old.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 am

Rog.... Rush works in a sneaky way. I have heard him defend Reagan on issues of supporting Saddam, Iran Contra, etc., by either shifting blame to subordinates, or trying to blame democrats in a twist of events. One thing Rush is good at is supplying enough suggestions to a listener that they will think it even if he didn't say it outright.

More than once I've heard him deny saying something, which may be partly true. But he may have spent several minutes of tossing enough suggestions that the listener thinks it without him ever actually having to say it.

He'll say something like "Isn't it odd that this democrat was at this place at this time?" to connect that democrat with a particular event. What he won't say is that a republican was there also. He, as well as other conservative and liberal spin doctors play head games very well if you are susceptible to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MSLSD's new Slogan Empty
PostSubject: Re: MSLSD's new Slogan   MSLSD's new Slogan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MSLSD's new Slogan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hays, Kansas :: Open Forum :: Politics-
Jump to: