Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Stormchasers

Go down 
+6
Degeneration X
CountryGirl
jewelz
Ratzilla
Blackie Kuhn
LukeTHr
10 posters
AuthorMessage
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Has anyone been watching the "Stormchasers " series on the Discovery Channel? I had a chance to visit with them in Hays this past May , which ended up being the day of the Ellis tornadoes. I think the episode tonite at 9 might be dealing with the storms around here. When we talked to them they had the original TIV back out after all the breakdowns on the new one.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 9:35 pm

I watched it the other nite and they were in the Wakeeney area
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks for the notice.
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:15 pm

I used to go to the storm spotters meeting over in Russell ever year, then I moved to Hays and never been able to catch one there. Do they not have them at all in Hays?? If not where is the closest one, Russell? I like to watch that . Does it look like Ellis show tonight??
Back to top Go down
http://www.firstpeople bears.com
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am

no , I checked the date of the Arkansas storms they were after and it was May 10. The storms around here were on May 22-23. The spotter meetings are sometime in the spring. You might be able to find out when thru the county emergency operations managers office
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:19 am

LukeTHr wrote:
no , I checked the date of the Arkansas storms they were after and it was May 10. The storms around here were on May 22-23. The spotter meetings are sometime in the spring. You might be able to find out when thru the county emergency operations managers office
THanks for the information!!!! I'll do that.I have been wanting to go. I get so excited in a storm! Stormchasers 6729 Stormchasers 6729 Stormchasers 6729
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 6:20 am

jewelz.. I'll try to remember to let you know when spotter classes are. They typically start in Kansas in late Feb and run through March. They also announce upcoming spotter meetings for our area on Channel 10 news during the weather report.
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm

I usually watch it pretty regularly year long, and do try to catch it the announcement of the local spotter meeting. I'll will ask you when it that time of year, Ratzilla. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Bout March is when they get going.
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

Number of posts : 238

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 1:33 am

i record the series & 2nite's episode were the tornados that hit eastern arkansas...
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:18 pm

dang countrygirl, that avatar is quite distracting
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

Number of posts : 238

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:04 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
dang countrygirl, that avatar is quite distracting

well thank you
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:06 pm

you are welcome ma'am
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Stormchasers is on again tonite at 9 pm on Discovery
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks Luke.
Back to top Go down

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:49 pm

mikecc wrote:
Luke I am your father

you'd do anything to get your post count up ............ such a post whore...... Razz
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:54 pm

just a reminder...

Stormchasers is on again tonite at 9 pm on Discovery

tonites episode should have the May 23 2008 storms. that would be quniter, cedar bluff and ellis
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Do you think they are going to show the Ellis tornado?
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 11:58 pm

not looking like it
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 am

jewelz wrote:
Do you think they are going to show the Ellis tornado?

There were several in the Ellis area that night. At least 4 different ones.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 am

they must not have been bad enough to make the show..... hell only a handfull of buildings were hit and power was knocked out for several days but that ain't bad
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:40 am

Isn't that the same night that Wakeeney got hit also????
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:41 am

They had footage of the damage from the Wakeeney Tornado on the episode a week a go.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 am

The one that started near Cedar Bluff was up to 1/2 mile wide on the ground and came within 3 or 4 miles of Ellis.

Why can't I get pictures this good?

http://www.harkphoto.com/05232008.html
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:58 am

Of 235 confirmed tornados in the US between May 22nd and 31st 2008 there were 114 in Kansas.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:21 pm

That was definitely a week for storm chasers. I just hope that this spring won't be a repeat of that.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 pm

I expect the trend for violent weather to continue next spring. I expected an above average tornado year this last spring for this part of KS and told a couple guys at work back in Feburary to prepare for an unusually rough spring. I got that one right, so I'll make my official prediction AKA "guess" about Feburary or early March. Right now I expect about an average winter with some average snows and a couple weeks of serious cold with another ballbuster spring storm season.

If you want to know what I base my thoughts on, I don't know. Just feel like it'll be that way. But right now, I think Ellis County and the surrounding area will have more tornadic storms than usual next spring. I think we are at the peak of a cycle. In two or three years a serious lack of rain and very hot (110 degree+) summers may be the story again.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 pm

I expect nearly 2 dozen snow events this year. A minor snow flurry counts the same as a blizzard when counting. We have already had one.
I expect the third full week of January to be a rough one. Have your shovel handy.
Snowfall totals will be at or above normal for the season.
I expect another above average year of cyclonic activity, however our activity will be less than areas to our north. The peak activity area last season was in a Plainville > Goodland > Garden City triangle. It is Nebraska's turn to get the headlines.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:31 pm

I feel about 3 good snow events first in mid December. As far as spring Hold on tight is gonna be rough
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 pm

I expect another heavy tornado year for us here justoo. Actually they were widespread across western and central KS last spring and summer and I expect a repeat. It seems we have a series of bad storm years followed by a series of dry ones. And contrary to popular belief, I usually expect the wetter spring and summer seasons to lead into drier winters, and winters with the heaviest snow can lead into the driest hottest summers. I expect a moderate winter this year, but possibly a cold one, leading into a wet hostile spring with intensely erratic atmospheric energy.

Or not....LOL
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 12:19 am

hey rat, you really need to get on the discovery channel storm chasers message boards, I think you would have a blast on there
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 12:23 am

You spose? I neglect too much I need to get done just posting on here.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 pm

slickjay took several neat pictures in Russell.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:34 pm

the show is on again at 9 pm tonite, sunday nite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stormchasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stormchasers   Stormchasers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stormchasers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hays, Kansas :: Open Forum :: Local Discussions-
Jump to: