Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?

Go down 
+8
Blackie Kuhn
SciFi
my2cents
supermom75
Ratzilla
The Other One
Spitter Swallow
jewelz
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Empty
PostSubject: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 pm

Ellis water is very gross. My coffee actually curdles with non-dairy creamer. I have to pay extra money for bottled water because the water is not usable. We have to pay for this crap. Jessks75 has water softener, but we can't make it work. Big a** filters and can't get to it to change what ever filters it may need. Any suggestions? What up with the water being so oily and crappy? Ellis needs a new well. Some of that money Wichita and Park City got for there water supply
Back to top Go down
http://www.firstpeople bears.com
Spitter Swallow
Spitter Swallow

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 1:07 pm

All your filters will last longer if you get a big (and cheap to replace) pre-filter. I, talking about one of them 3 foot filters. Catches some of the larger particulate that seem to be the bane of micro-filters.
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 1:25 pm

She has three restaurant like filters in a row. Just have to take the whole under-the-sink apart to replace. Do you know what's wrong with the water in Ellis?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 4:38 pm

jewelz wrote:
Do you know what's wrong with the water in Ellis?

It's downstream from WaKeeney.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Like many towns around here, there's three things I can think of. First there's the lime and shale from the Cretaceous period underground everywhere, and some of it has a crude oil smell. Several gas station tanks have leaked. And one of my favorites is the close proximity of city water wells to the cemetary. The new underground holding tanks are beside the cemetary too. Mmm, Mmm, grandma your oozing casket makes the water so yummy. What a Face

Or maybe the city employees just pee in the tanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:56 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Like many towns around here, there's three things I can think of. First there's the lime and shale from the Cretaceous period underground everywhere, and some of it has a crude oil smell. Several gas station tanks have leaked. And one of my favorites is the close proximity of city water wells to the cemetary. The new underground holding tanks are beside the cemetary too. Mmm, Mmm, grandma your oozing casket makes the water so yummy. What a Face

OMG, Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? 733732 they shouldn't even be allowed to sell this stuff as water. No wonder I feel sick. Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? 912833 Callaghan where are you?
Back to top Go down
supermom75
Rookie
Rookie
supermom75

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 8:14 am

Ratzilla wrote:

OMG, thanks Ratzilla!! Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? 733732 Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? 733732 Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? 733732
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 11:35 am

Yes, Thanks Ratzilla. And to thiink that I was using my Lavage with Ellis city water. OMG!
Back to top Go down
my2cents
Rookie
Rookie
my2cents

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Just curious, have any of you tried the Pur (3 stage) water filter? We don't live in Ellis but we are on rural water and it tastes pretty bad. I put one of these filters on the spiket and the water tastes great! The Pur states that it "removes 99.9% Microbial Cysts, Cryptosporidium and Giadia" (whatever that is!). All I know is that our water tasted pretty bad and now it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Wilkykav2 Has a nice one. It would work great here. ( I'm hoping to buy it from her if it's still for sale). Jessks75 had one in Haces,Like what you are talking about. but threw it away.now she needs it. Do you like yours? Thanks for your 2 cents! Very helpful.

Last edited by jewelz on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:00 pm

jewelz wrote:
Yes, Thanks Ratzilla. And to thiink that I was using my Lavage with Ellis city water. OMG!
Not sure what a "Lavage" is, but anyway. I wonder if El.Co. extension would analyze it for you?
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Good idea! I will try that Ellis Co. Extension. Thanks Scifi. Lavage is a nasal rinse. Makes my head feel clearer and rinses all the crap out. Keep me from getting sick sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Ellis County extension can refer you to labs that can test your water, but it don't come cheap
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 2:07 am

I just use a Brita filter that attaches to the sink. Water tastes ok now, but even that won't remove all that lime that ruins my coffee makers. I've tried water from reverse osmosis, but to me it has a peculiar taste.

Fact is that no place has really good water anymore. There's some degree of pollutants in every towns water supply be it petroleum or it's by-products, agri-chemicals, or just contaminants from 100+ year old landfills, outhouses, and cemeteries.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 7:06 am

didn't Ellis get a new water treatment plant?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 7:36 am

Yep. Right next to the cemetery.
Makes you wonder if it is engineered correctly?
Is it operated properly?
Is anyone looking in to this?
Has someone mentioned this to KDHE?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:15 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
Ellis County extension can refer you to labs that can test your water, but it don't come cheap
Maybe my ignorance, Blackie, but why would it cost a consumer anything at all? Our tax dollars at work, right? So we're all supposed to purchase water filtration systems to pick up the slack that the city leaves behind? Seems that's the case, though. My parents have water softening on the hot and cold, plus an RO tap for drinking water. When I worked with Slickjay in Bunker Hill, sheesh, talk about bad tasting water! Thing is, it tested okay as far as being safe for human consumption; lots of minerals, but safe to drink. Water, the next "oil crises."
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 am

jewelz wrote:
Good idea! I will try that Ellis Co. Extension. Thanks Scifi. Lavage is a nasal rinse. Makes my head feel clearer and rinses all the crap out. Keep me from getting sick sometimes.
Sure! I use whatever the store brand of 4-way nasal spray is, plus saline nasal spray. I guy I used to work with had some kind of nasal attachment for his WaterPik, which would force water up one side of the nose and sinus and down the other. He said that it was disgusting, but that it worked great.
Back to top Go down
IVARR793
IVARR793

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 12:33 pm

We moved from Hays to Ellis last fall, love the water bill over here! How long before the new water plant is payed for?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
didn't Ellis get a new water treatment plant?

Yes, and Ellis water is actually better than a few years back. Though the greenish tinge of the water in the new unlined concrete underground storage tanks does make you wonder. Especially with them being right next to the cemetary. But that may be the pre-filtered water in those tanks too, before it goes to the tower.

For those in question, Ellis does water testing and the results should be available at the city office. Last I saw, the main problem is like all towns around here. Mostly high minerals. Years ago Ellis had benzene and tolulene problems due to leaking fuel tanks, and Hays had issues with Carbon Tetrochloride from dry cleaners. Hays may have had traces of formaldehyde too once if I recall, but that'd be no surprise since the aquifer runs under Mount Allen Cemetary.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 1:19 pm

what's wrong with the Ellis water? I have lived here all my life and thought it was ok. When you shower, you don't have that slick feeling like you are still soapy because the water sand blasts all the reisdue of the soap off. The water has flavor from all the minerals in it just like some of that fancy bottles stuff. And when you make ice with it, it has floaties in it so it's like getting a free snowglobe. Then when it's used for coffee, it has a neat rainbow effect on the surface in the cup. So many benefits..........
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 1:26 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
what's wrong with the Ellis water? I have lived here all my life and thought it was ok. When you shower, you don't have that slick feeling like you are still soapy because the water sand blasts all the reisdue of the soap off. The water has flavor from all the minerals in it just like some of that fancy bottles stuff. And when you make ice with it, it has floaties in it so it's like getting a free snowglobe. Then when it's used for coffee, it has a neat rainbow effect on the surface in the cup. So many benefits..........

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 pm

I guess it's what you get used to. Hoxie water always used to upset my stomach but my family from there said Ellis water tasted bad to them. And mom always said water in Beloit gave her the runs. Might be more to do with the pipes in some cases anyways. Those old galvanized pipes always look nasty on the inside. Like a clogged artery full of brown slop.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 2:00 pm

You've got such a way with words, Ratz... Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Glad I can amuse suzy. Smile
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 8:17 pm

my2cents wrote:
Just curious, have any of you tried the Pur (3 stage) water filter? We don't live in Ellis but we are on rural water and it tastes pretty bad. I put one of these filters on the spiket and the water tastes great! The Pur states that it "removes 99.9% Microbial Cysts, Cryptosporidium and Giadia" (whatever that is!). All I know is that our water tasted pretty bad and now it doesn't.
I think I will try one of these. Sound pretty good. Carrying water in is quite heavy. I can't keep up with the need. Thanks for information!
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
So your used to it? LOl lol!
Back to top Go down
my2cents
Rookie
Rookie
my2cents

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:26 pm

Quote :
I think I will try one of these. Sound pretty good. Carrying water in is quite heavy. I can't keep up with the need. Thanks for information!

OMG, I remember carrying all those water containers, what a nightmare! We had 4 of the 5 gallon containers that we filled once a week. A family of 6 can drink a lot of water. The Pur does cost about $30.00 (believe me, it is worth it) to start out and then you will have to change the filters every so often, we change ours about every 2 months, you will know when it is time to change them when the water flow decreases. Of course, it is cheaper if you buy the 3 pack of filters. I hope this works for you, there is nothing worse then bad tasting water. Oh yea, I also bought a 2.5 gallon container and I fill it with my tap water, now filtered, and set in in the fridge for cold water for whenever!
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 11:49 pm

my2cents wrote:
Quote :

OMG, I remember carrying all those water containers, what a nightmare! We had 4 of the 5 gallon containers that we filled once a week. A family of 6 can drink a lot of water. The Pur does cost about $30.00 (believe me, it is worth it) to start out and then you will have to change the filters every so often, we change ours about every 2 months, you will know when it is time to change them when the water flow decreases. Of course, it is cheaper if you buy the 3 pack of filters. I hope this works for you, there is nothing worse then bad tasting water. Oh yea, I also bought a 2.5 gallon container and I fill it with my tap water, now filtered, and set in in the fridge for cold water for whenever!
Sounds great ! Thanks Great idea.This will work for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?   Question, Ellis water. What's up with it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question, Ellis water. What's up with it?
Page 1 of 1